The Latest on deadly mudslides in Sierra Leone (all times local):
The Israeli Foreign Ministry says it has delivered thousands of meals to Sierra Leone as the West African country recovers from a deadly mudslide.
Foreign Ministry spokesman Emmanuel Nahshon said Tuesday that enough food for 10,000 meals had been delivered. He says Israel also is planning on sending medical aid.
The ministry said the relief effort was being spearheaded by the Israeli Embassy in Senegal.
Survivors of deadly mudslides in Sierra Leone’s capital are vividly describing the disaster as President Ernest Bai Koroma says the nation is in a “state of grief.”
Freetown resident Fatmata Kamara says she had come out of her house to use the toilet when she saw the mud and boulders rushing down Monday morning. She says she ran away “almost naked” and was the only member of her family to survive.
Another resident, Ahmed Sesay, compared the sound of the mudslide to an earthquake.
The Red Cross estimates that 600 people are still missing. More than 300 people have died. The government hopes to have an updated death toll by the end of today.
The Red Cross estimates that 600 people are still missing as the death toll from massive mudslides in Sierra Leone’s capital is certain to rise.
Bodies have begun washing up on a beach in Freetown. Workers continue to search for an untold number of people buried in their homes.
Authorities say more than 300 people were killed in and around Freetown on Monday following heavy rains. Many were trapped under tons of mud as they slept.
The death toll from massive mudslides in Sierra Leone’s capital is certain to rise as workers search for an untold number of people buried in their homes.
Authorities say more than 300 were killed in and around Freetown on Monday following heavy rains. Many victims were trapped under tons of mud as they slept.
Some are digging through the mud and debris with their bare hands in a desperate search for missing relatives. Military personnel have been deployed to help with the operation in the impoverished West African nation.
Initial Red Cross estimates have said as many as 3,000 people are left homeless and the figure is expected to rise.
The mortuary at Connaught Hospital has been overwhelmed by the number of dead, with bodies spread out on the floor.
FOLLOW NEW AFRICA BUSINESS NEWS ON FACEBOOK @ New Africa Business News.com