The Latest on the shooting rampage Saturday in Italy in which police say a far-right gunman targeted African migrants. (all times local):
A Nigerian community leader in central Italy says he was on his way to meet with cultural mediators when he heard the first shots fired by a right-wing extremist who eventually wounded six Africans.
Sammy Kunoun, who runs the office of an immigrant association in the city of Marcerata, told The Associated Press on Sunday he didn’t think anything of the shooting sounds on Saturday night until a shop owner said: “They are shooting at us. They are killing us.”
Kunoun says he was heading to discuss plans for a sit-in to show solidarity with the family of an 18-year-old woman’s slaying a few days earlier. A Nigerian immigrant is jailed as the prime suspect.
Kunoun says the event was called off after the shooting spree for fear of further racist attacks.
Authorities say the suspect behind the shooting rampage, Luca Traini, had extreme right-wing leanings and was motivated to target Africans by Pamela Mastropietro’s killing.
Kunoun said: “Now, we are all victims in this story.”
Italian authorities have seized a copy of Adolf Hitler’s “Mein Kampf” in the house of an extreme right-wing suspect who shot and wounded six Africans during a rampage in the central Italian city of Macerata.
Video of the suspect’s bedroom provided by the Italian Carabinieri on Sunday showed Hitler’s infamous autobiography, other publications linked to Nazism and a flag with a Celtic cross — a symbol commonly used by white supremacists.
Luca Traini is being held for investigation of attempted murder with an aggravating circumstance of racial hatred for targeting Africans in a series of drive-by shootings on Saturday.
Italian broadcaster RAI reported that the victims ranged in age from 22 to 33 and originally were from Ghana, Gambia, Nigeria and Mali.
Police photos of the 28-year-old Traini show he has a neo-Nazi tattoo on his forehead.
The Carabinieri commander in the Italian city of Macerata says the extreme right-wing suspect in drive-by shootings targeting African migrants was “lucid and determined, aware of what he had done.”
Col. Michele Roberti told Sky TG24 on Sunday that the suspect, Luca Traini, demonstrated no remorse for the two-hour shooting spree Saturday that wounded five men and one woman, all African migrants.
Roberti said “it’s likely that he carried out this crazy gesture as a sort of retaliation, a sort of vendetta” after a Nigerian man was arrested in the gruesome slaying of an Italian teenager a few days previously in the same city.
He said investigators had determined there was no connection between 28-year-old Traini and the slain victim, Pamela Mastropietro.
Traini has been jailed as police investigate a shooting rampage motivated by racial hatred.
A Nigerian woman shot by an Italian right-wing extremist during a drive-by rampage says she no longer feels free to walk around the city “with peace of mind” after the attack.
The 29-year-old, identified only as Jennifer, told the daily La Stampa that “I never hurt anyone. I was talking and laughing with three other people” when she was struck by the bullet.
Hospital officials say she suffered a fracture to her humerus bone in her arm and is facing an operation Sunday.
Her boyfriend told La Repubblica they were waiting at a bus station when he saw a man pointing something at them from a car. Ogie Igbinowania says “I gave Jennifer a push to get her out of the way and threw myself down. And I heard a shot: Boom.”
FOLLOW NEW AFRICA BUSINESS NEWS ON FACEBOOK @ New Africa Business News.com